- Do introduce your older dog to the crate slowly
- Don’t use the crate as a punishment
- Do use the crate for short periods of time when you cannot supervised your dog
- Don’t leave your dog in the crate for extended periods eg, the whole work day
- Don’t allow your children to play with your dog in the crate (or play in crate). This is your dog’s safe zone.
There is still much to be said about crate training. If this article has caused you to consider getting a crate for your dog, please contact a qualified trainer or behaviourist to help you set up a training program for your dog and to assist in introducing the crate to your dog.